Fire safety advice was 'pertinent'
Woy Woy Rotary club members were told of the services offered by the Umina Fire Station of on the day Notre Dame cathedral was destroyed by fire in Paris.
"The focus of this meeting could not have been more pertinent with news of the devastating fire in the centre of Paris," said club publicity officer Mr Vic Deeble.
He said Umina Fire Station officer Mr Peter Moyes spoke about safety in the home and the services offered by Fire and Rescue NSW.
The station had three firefighting trucks, was manned 24 hours a day seven days a week and covered an area from Patonga to Empire Bay and Point Clare.
"One truck is manned by four full-time firefighters and the others by retainers who are volunteers paid to be on call if there is a demand for their services," Mr Deeble said.
"They are trained in two weekend courses with further training on a monthly basis."
Mr Moyes played a video showing how to improve fire safety in the home, covering kitchen and electrical fires.
"We learned more than half of all house fires start in the kitchen and we also learned tips on how to avoid both types of fires," Mr Deebles said.
"In the lea- up to winter, this proved very timely advice as this season is when most house fires occur."
Mr Moyes also described what to look out for with specific high risk appliances such as heaters and electric blankets and how to properly use a fire blanket.
"Mr Moyes spoke about the need to replace ionisation fire alarms that are more than 10 years old, with photoelectric sensors.
"The alarms have the date of manufacture on them and so when next the battery needs replacing the age of the alarm should also be checked.
"There is a special deal for seniors where the fire brigade will install them free of charge."
Newsletter, 23 Apr 2019
Vic Deeble, Rotary Club of Woy Woy
The Rotary Club of Woy Woy recently welcomed representatives from for one of their last gatherings before Easter.
", the for, told us that he