Emergency dredging work starts
Emergency dredging work started on Ettalong Channel on June 25, Member for Terrigal Mr Adam Crouch has announced.
He said a $660,000 contract had been signed for the work.
"The NSW Government has committed to substantial emergency dredging of the Ettalong Channel to ensure it is safe and accessible for all waterway users," Mr Crouch said.
"The project is anticipated to remove around 20,000 cubic metres of sand, which will clear the way for boats and ferry services.
"The method and equipment being used for this work will achieve the best results and should keep the Channel open for longer.
"This will provide the opportunity for the Department of Industry Lands and Water and Central Coast Council to work together in developing a long-term dredging strategy.
"The dredging will be completed as soon as possible, but is dependent on weather conditions.
Mr Crouch said the works were being funded through savings made on other projects in the region.
"Savings from projects, such as The Entrance Rock Groyne project, which falls in the same Local Government Area as Ettalong, has meant the Department has been able to redirect funds for the emergency works," Mr Crouch said.
Central Coast Council has submitted an application for Rescuing our Waterways funding, which is currently being assessed.
Media release, 20 Jun 2018
Ben Sheath, Office of Adam Crouch MP
Add a comment
Comments entered here may be published in the Forum section of Peninsula News.
Name, full residential address and daytime telephone number are required, but
only name and suburb will be published. This is a moderated forum: Contributions
will not appear here until they are approved by the editor. Contributions may appear in an edited form.