Heritage ferry has its engine replaced
A heritage ferry still in active service locally has had its engine replaced.
The Codock II, owned and operated by Central Coast Ferries, now has a "new" Gardner 5LW diesel engine.
The old Gardner 5LW engine, which was installed in 1960, had to be removed after a major failure.
The replacement engine was from the Snowy Mountain Scheme and was built in 1950.
The original manufacturer Gardner Marine now describes the engine as "rare", but that it "can be supplied by us fully factory remanufactured".
The engine is described as having "single lever control and 2 U.C. 2:1 reversing and reduction gear".
"The 5LW develops 78 bhp at 1500 rpm and has a swept volume of 426 cu ins (7.0 litres)."
The Codock II was originally built for the Royal Australian Navy in 1943 with a 114bhp V8 Cadillac petrol engine.
The vessel was acquired by Cockatoo Dockyard in 1947, where it was in daily service until the dockyard closed in 1991.
Central Coast Ferries purchased it in 2006.
Social media, 12 Oct 2020
Central Coast Ferries